Friday, May 18, 2012

Wonky Donkey 2

Welcome if you've come across from Blogger's Quilt Festival or from Laurie's blog! I have a brand new quilt to show you...

Amy's Creative Side

There's nothing cuter than a donkey in boots, so I was very excited to hear that Laurie Wisbrun's adorable donkeys in wellies had been picked up by Robert Kaufman and released as "Jack and Jenny".  Some of you may remember the original Wonky Donkey quilt that I made using Laurie's spoonflower fabrics (modelled by Fizzy). My son loves this quilt!


I started straight away on making an updated version for my son (you can never have too many donkey quilts!) I love that the new donkeys and boots are just so vibrant and it was fun pairing them with some really strong colours - the grey background adds that extra pop - don't you think? 


On the new Jack and Jenny fabric the donkeys are a bit smaller (original donkeys measured 5in x 4in and the new donkeys measure 4in x 3in), so I was able to make the blocks a bit smaller and have more of them...


...giving it a more refined look... maybe?


I decided to quilt this with straight-ish white vertical lines, kind of like rain. Initially I was tearing my hair out trying to get it right, but once I figured out that I had to really reduce the pressure on the presser foot, it quilted beautifully and I'm thrilled with the result!


I made a very simple pieced back. My son picked out the red fabric, as it will be his quilt, and I didn't buy quite enough fabric, so I added some white lines (inspired by a block in Modern Blocks.)


I absolutely love this quilt, but I was in desperate need of a super cute donkey to plop it on. As I don't live in Sydney any more, Fizzy was out of reach and the rocking horse wasn't quite cutting it.


Yesterday morning I rang up Margaret from the Donkey and Mule Society of South Australia and begged explained that I needed a donkey urgently! She was fantastic, and a couple of hours later I met her adorable donkey Cocoa, the friendliest donkey in the world (sorry Fizzy, but you did try to eat my quilt.) He was the perfect model.


If you would like to try your hand at some stack 'n' slash, fussy-cutting donkey fun, the pattern's available here.

This quilt will be appearing at Australian Quilt Market in the HQW Distributors booth in a few weeks. Do you think I should stick with the name "Wonky Donkey 2", or try something new like Wonkier Donkey, Donkey got Wonky, Too Wonky for a Donkey... something else?


Now I'm off to check out all of the other quilts at Blogger's Quilt Festival, which I'm proud to be sponsoring. Thanks Amy for all of your hard work!

51 comments:

  1. Que bonito, alegre, divertido... precioso.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kate, I love it! The quilting drama was worth it, it looks great. I like wonkier donkey for its name.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What and adorable quilt...I absolutely love this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Donkey Delight I´d call it - so sweet! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How about "Donkey gone Wonkey". And I have to admit, I was pretty disappointed when I didn't see actual boots on Cocoa, I guess being pictured with a quilt on your back is the limit. Love the quilt!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful quilt and what a sweet model! I love your quilt and your photos with the cute donkey!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the colours, design and quilting. And the donkey too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. ba-donk-a-wonk! Great quilt! Cute donkey!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so glad you were able to procure another donkey for the photo shoot! And you make it sound so easy! :) Love the Donkey Redeux.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's lovely Kate ! and I love you actually managed to find another donkey! Great photo's. That's the way to make new friends! (i.e. can I put my quilt on your donkey, lol!). Jest aside, the quilt is great too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just hopped over from Lori's blog. I love your quilt! How about "Donkey Dance" for the new name?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your quilt is super cute and the back you made is fabulous! I think it's hilarious you actually procured a donkey for the photo shoot... I guess those are things you have to do when you're a pro. :D

    I like all the names you're thinking of!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The quilt is adorable.

    THe fact that you actually got a donkey to model it -OUTSTANDING!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is just the cutest quilt AND donkey to model it! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great colors! And great quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love love love the quilt! and I'm in awe of your creativeness to get a donkey to display it on! You go girl!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love it ! So vibrant. Had to add it to my Pinterest!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Cute quilt! And super funny that you had to hunt down a donkey for the pictures...you sound like me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. too cute!

    Margaret
    http://quiltsoflove.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  20. OH yes, get creative with the name! I haven't seen donkeys in boots before. Both of your donkey quilts are super fun!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Very cute - the donkey and the quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is the first time following many blogs I have ended up where I live Sth. Aust (Blackwood actually) so close a donkey kick away - woops never. Before knew connection I thought of names like Donkey Duet or Donkey Dudes Dance. Well I have been blogging etc for five hours. Love the quilt and your patterns especially Charm quilt - do you sell to local quilt shops?
    Have fun showing the quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your model is amazing. I wonder how llamas feel about quilting and photography. I have a llama quilt in the planning phases. Time to start paying attention to where I see llamas when driving the country roads.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Fantastic quilts and models! I love love love the fact that you went out and located a donkey to make the picture complete.

    ReplyDelete
  25. As a miniature donkey breeder in the United States,I love all things donkey. I would call it the Wonkey Donkey Farm Quilt. I love the grey and the quilted lines. Need to do one for my near future grandchild.
    Thank you for promoting donkeys!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Love it Kate! How adorable is your model! Why is it so hard to name quilts? What would your son like it to be called?

    ReplyDelete
  27. Everyone needs a donkey to display their quilts on! Really cute.

    ReplyDelete
  28. What a sweet quilt! And, I love the back. I absolutely cannot believe you have a real live donkey for a model. That is totally awesome! o:)

    ReplyDelete
  29. I love this quilt! I have this same fabric and have been planning on making a wonky block quilt with it too! lo

    ReplyDelete
  30. What about calling the pattern 'Donkey on the Edge!' - just about my favourite Shrek line!

    ReplyDelete
  31. darling quilt--great fabric and like the gray background. darling little boy! love the quilting, too. don't think i'd ever have the patience to make all those straight lines. looks great. thanks for sharing and have a great day

    ReplyDelete
  32. Definitely 'Donkey Got Wonky'! This is adorable! Love the extra thought put into the photo staging. FUN!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I like Wonky Donkey 2. So cute. This is some of my favorite fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Thanks for sharing your son's donkey quilt and the story behind it. I looked at the first photo and thought that the donkey looked like he was just about to find out what it tasted like!

    ReplyDelete
  35. This quilt is gorgeous! I love the front, the back, the quilting...perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  36. I'd call it Wonky Donkey Redux, just because it sounds silly coming off my tongue!!! Such a great quilt!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Great job, such an adorable and whimsical quilt (and great model too).

    Come see my entries 64 (repro. applique) and 85 (antique appliques).

    ReplyDelete
  38. Love it Katie!! It looks great with the smaller prints and grey background. The straight line quilting sets it off perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  39. That quilt is so adorable and that fabric is just too fun. How about This Donkey got Wonky Too. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  40. I like this even better than the original! And I love how Dane chose the colours... it looks like a more grown up version for a more grown up Dane! Maybe Wonkier Donkey(er)... :-b

    ReplyDelete
  41. PS the above comment and this comment is from Kaila... for some reason it is posting under someone else's name! Weird!

    ReplyDelete
  42. I love all the different colors with the donkeys - so bright and vibrant! No wonder your little one loves it :)

    ReplyDelete
  43. What a cute quilt and a fun model! I vote for the name Wonkier Donkey.

    ReplyDelete
  44. Sigh....I love this fabric. I have fabric all ready kitted out to make my own Donkey quilt. I've paired it with a tweedy grey flannel and lime green accents.

    I keep calling mine the "Dong-key Quilt" but you have to say it like Shreck.

    Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  45. Love your pictures! Great design! Great quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  46. How fun to photograph your wonky donky quilt on a real live donkey. It is really cute and I think the grey background really makes those bright colors even brighter.

    ReplyDelete
  47. je me suis permis de mettre la photo de votre quilt dans un message ,j'espère que cela ne vous pose pas de problème ,merci d'avance

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment! I try to respond but life sometimes gets in the way. If you have any questions please email me at kate(at)kateconklindesigns(dot)com